Visiting the Surgery Center
The majority of surgeries performed by Dean McGee Eye Institute (DMEI)/University of Oklahoma (OU) Department of Ophthalmology surgeons take place at the McGee Eye Surgery Center (MESC). You will find us on the ground floor of the Harold Hamm Diabetes Center across the street from DMEI. Visit the MESC location page for more details.
Dedicated solely to eye surgery, the MESC provides the highest quality of care in a warm, personalized setting for patients whose surgical treatment does not require hospitalization.
At the McGee Eye Surgery Center:
Your surgeon is supported by a highly-skilled team of anesthesiologists, registered nurses, and other qualified medical personnel specially trained in surgical and recovery care.
Our surgical suites are equipped with highly sophisticated monitors, technical equipment, and instrumentation.
We strictly adhere to the standards of care required by Medicare and surgical governing bodies. The McGee Eye Surgery Center is licensed by the State of Oklahoma and accredited by the Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care (AAAHC).
As the dedicated surgery center for DMEI/OU Department of Ophthalmology surgeons, we have significant experience managing ophthalmic surgeries related to:
- Cornea and External Diseases
- Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus
- Retina and Vitreous
We realize that surgery, whether elective or required, can create anxiety. We are here to help answer your questions and put you at ease. Below are links to helpful information regarding your upcoming visit:
- Paying for Surgery – Learn how financial arrangements for surgery are handled.
- Preparation for Surgery – Learn how to prepare for your surgery including a link to the anesthesia NPO guidelines.
- Surgical Recovery – Learn the basics of what to expect during surgical recovery.
We look forward to caring for you!