Salary and Benefits
The University of Oklahoma (OU) College of Medicine, Office of Graduate Medical Education establishes the salary rates for residents and fellows in the Dean McGee Eye Institute (DMEI) / OU Department of Ophthalmology.
- PGY-2: $56,531
- PGY-3: $58,281
- PGY-4: $60,809
- PGY-5: $63,288
- PGY-6: $65,595
Residents and fellows in the DMEI/OU Department of Ophthalmology receive benefits through both the OU College of Medicine and DMEI/OU Department of Ophthalmology to include:
Each resident and fellow earns 15 non-accruable working days a year. University and DMEI holidays are not considered vacation time. A vacation policy crafted with resident input is in place.
- 15 working days per year.
- A maternity/paternity leave policy is in place.
A policy is in place to allow each resident/fellow personal leave to interview for fellowship or practice positions.
- Occurrence malpractice insurance through the Ophthalmic Mutual Insurance Company
- Health insurance through the University of Oklahoma
- Dental insurance for resident with a discount for family
- Disability insurance
- Dependent life and health
There is a fee exemption for:
- DEA license
- Controlled substance license from the Oklahoma Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs
The department loans 90- and 20-diopter lenses for use during residency.
- An allowance is provided by the OU Medicine, Inc. hospitals for meals while on call.
- All call is home call.
The department provides a digital pager with email capabilities.
A free web-based email account is available through the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center (OUHSC) and DMEI.
Each resident (PGY-2) and fellow (PGY-5) is provided two monogrammed clinical lab coats and receives an additional lab coat each year of training thereafter.
Through the Acers Society, established through the generosity of resident and fellow alumni, each resident and fellow receives up to $1,500 per year in reimbursement for certain expenses related to their education such as purchasing textbooks, medical equipment, and educational materials, or registration and travel fees for attending educational conferences.
For more information regarding salary and benefits, please contact Helen Howell, our residency program coordinator at 405.271.7816.