Kamran M. Riaz, MD
Clinical Associate Professor
Special Clinical/Surgical Interests
- Complex Cataract Surgery and Intraocular Lens Management
- Corneal Infections
- Corneal Transplantation: full-thickness and partial thickness (DSAEK/DMEK)
- Corneal Cross-Linking
- Routine, Premium, and Complex Cataract Surgery
- “Dropless” Cataract Surgery
- Management of Cataract Surgery Complications
- Secondary IOL Implantation (scleral fixation, etc.)
- Advanced Dry Eye and Ocular Surface Disease
- BA: History and Economics, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL, 2003
- MD: University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL, 2008
- Internship: Preliminary Medicine, St. Joseph Hospital, Chicago, IL, 2008-2009
- Residency: Department of Ophthalmology, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL, 2009-2012
- Fellowship: Cornea, External Disease, and Refractive Surgery, Department of Ophthalmology, University of Texas at Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX, 2012-2013
Dr. Kamran Riaz is a fellowship-trained and board-certified ophthalmologist whose clinical and surgical practices focus on cornea, external disease, anterior segment, cataract, and refractive surgery. He is currently a clinical associate professor at the Dean McGee Eye Institute at the University of Oklahoma in Oklahoma City. Dr. Riaz completed his undergraduate studies at the University of Illinois at Chicago, where he was admitted into the prestigious Guaranteed Professional Program Admissions (GPPA). He received dual bachelor’s degrees in economics and history, earning admission into the Phi Beta Kappa honor society and graduating magna cum laude with the highest possible distinction.
Dr. Riaz attended medical school at the UIC College of Medicine. He completed his internship at Saint Joseph Hospital in Chicago and his ophthalmology residency at Northwestern University, where he served as chief resident during his senior year and received the “Best Resident Research” Award. He completed an additional year of fellowship training in Cornea, External Disease, and Refractive Surgery at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas.
Upon the completion of his training, Dr. Riaz’s career in academic ophthalmology began at the University of Chicago, where he served as assistant professor and director of refractive surgery in the Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Science. During his time there, he restarted the refractive surgery service, inaugurated a region-wide optics course, and brought many new surgical procedures to the department, including femtosecond laser-assisted cataract surgery, “dropless cataract surgery,” micro-invasive glaucoma surgery, and advanced technology IOL surgery.
For his efforts, Dr. Riaz was recognized by hospital administration in May 2018 at the “Best Practices Forum” for restoring vision in a patient who was blind for 38 years. He was also awarded the “Best Teacher Award” in 2018 by the University of Chicago ophthalmology residents, as well as the “Teacher of the Year” award in 2019 as voted by residents from all six programs in the Chicago area.
Dr. Riaz has also authored more than 40 publications and presentations at national ophthalmology meetings. He has been an invited lecturer and surgical wet-lab instructor at several conferences, as well as an invited visiting professor, both nationally and internationally, at several academic institutions.
Beyond his level of expertise, Dr. Riaz has a passion for resident and fellow education, especially in optics and refractive surgery. He teaches national board review courses and serves as an optics section editor for the most popular website for ophthalmology exam preparation among trainees. He has been consistently recognized by students for his engaging teaching style.
In his free time, Dr. Riaz enjoys history documentaries, football, basketball, and jazz music. He and his wife, Sanaa, who is also a physician, are blessed with three beautiful children. Dr. Riaz is fluent in Spanish, Urdu, Hindi, and Arabic.
- Oklahoma Academy of Ophthalmology
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- Cornea Society
- International Society of Refractive Surgery
- Association for Research and Vision in Ophthalmology
Honors & Awards
- “Teacher of the Year,” Chicago Curriculum in Ophthalmology, 2019
- “Young International Ophthalmologist Award,” Indian Society of Cornea and Keratorefractive Surgery, 2019
- “Best Teacher Award,” University of Chicago, Department of Ophthalmology, 2018
- “Best Practices Forum Award,” University of Chicago Medical Center, 2018
- “Teacher of the Year,” Osler Board Review Course, 2015-2019
- Resident Research Award, Northwestern University, 2012
- Chief Resident, Department of Ophthalmology, Northwestern University, 2011-2012
(*) indicates corresponding author, underline indicates primary mentee
1. Lee JA, Djalilian AR, Riaz KM, Sugar J, Tu EY, Wadia H, Edward DP. Clinical and histopathological features of failed descemet stripping automated endothelial keratoplasty grafts. Cornea, 2009; 28(5): 530-535. PMID: 19421044.
2. Riaz KM, Sugar J, Tu EY, Edward DP, Wilensky JT, Namavari A, Djalilian AR. Early results of Descemet-stripping and automated endothelial keratoplasty (DSAEK) in patients with glaucoma drainage devices. Cornea, 2009; 28(9): 959-962. PMID: 19724221.
3. Alhosaini MN, Latta S, Riaz KM, Hamdi T, Jallad B, Kheir F, Park S, Iroegbu N. Contrast-induced nephropathy: current practices among cardiologists. Renal Failure, 2010; 32(8): 928-934. PMID: 20722559.
4. Latta S, Riaz KM, Salem MM. Skin plaques in a woman with renal disease. American Family Physician, 2010; 82(10): 1257. PMID: 21121538.
5. Punjabi OS, Riaz KM, Mets MB. Crystalline retinopathy in primary hyperoxaluria. Journal of the American Association for Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus, 2011; 15(2): 214-216. PMID: 21596303.
6. Riaz KM, Jampol LM, Mirza RG. Fundus autofluorescence imaging in punctate inner choroidopathy with blind spot enlargement. Ocular Immunology and Inflammation, 2012; 20(6): 460-463. PMID: 23163572.
7. Riaz KM, Srivastava A, Rosin J, Feder RS, Basti S. Achromobacter xylosoxidans keratitis masquerading as recurrent erosion after LASIK. Journal of Refractive Surgery, 2013; 29(11): 788-790. PMID: 24063345.
8. Riaz KM, Grewal DS, Cervantes P, Basti S. Endothelial damage with two DSAEK insertion techniques performed by a novice corneal surgeon in residency training: a comparative analysis. Cornea, 2014; 33(1): 91-95. PMID: 24162751.
9. Riaz KM, Kim BY, Bakhtiari P, Chan CC, Welder JD, Holland EJ, Basti S, Djalilian AR. Medically reversible limbal stem cell disease: clinical features and management strategies. Ophthalmology, 2014; 121(10): 2053-2058. PMID: 24908203.
10. Chandramani A, Riaz KM (*). Management of positive dysphotopsia in a patient with prior refractive surgery. Canadian Journal of Ophthalmology, 2018; 53(1): e27-e29. PMID: 29426456.
11. Smith C, Nichols J, Riaz KM (*). Remission of Charles Bonnet syndrome following cataract extraction. Canadian Journal of Ophthalmology, December 2018; 53(6): e221-222. PMID: 30502996.
12. Hakim F, Malhotra V, Colby KA, Riaz KM (*). Institution of a surgical curriculum for trabecular micro-bypass stent placement. Journal of Academic Ophthalmology, 2018; 10(01): e143-149. DOI: 10.1055/s-0038-1669931.
13. Anand N, Reidy JJ, Riaz KM (*). Short-term regression of corneal neovascularization with combination therapy of argon green laser photocoagulation and subconjunctival bevacizumab. International Medical Case Reports Journal, 2019; 12: 89-92. PMID: 31114395.
14. Zhang MH, Haq ZU, Braithwaite EM, Simon NC, Riaz KM (*). A randomized, controlled trial of video supplementation on the cataract surgery informed consent process. Graefes Archive for Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology, 2019; 257(8): 1719-1727. PMID: 31144057.
15. Grodsky JD, Doshi R, Riaz KM (*). Medical management and visual rehabilitation of limbal niche dysfunction. Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery, 2020; 46(2): 312-316. PMID: 32126047.
16. Schechet SA, Hariprasad SM, Riaz KM. Posterior to anterior migration of a large optic fragment in a pseudophakic eye. GMS Ophthalmology Cases, 2020; 10: Doc06: DOI: 10.3205/oc000133. PMID: 32269904.
17. Priyadarsini S, Whelchel A, Nicholas S, Sharif R, Riaz KM, Karamichos D. Diabetic keratopathy: insights and challenges. Survey of Ophthalmology, 2020; pii:S0039-6357(20)30029-1. PMID: 32092364.
18. Haq Z, Zhang MH, Benjamin MJ, Riaz KM (*). Short-term non-infectious outcomes after a pars plana intravitreal antibiotic-steroid injection of triamcinolone, moxifloxacin, and vancomycin during cataract surgery versus a standard postoperative topical regimen. Clinical Ophthalmology, 2020; 14: 1117-1125. PMID: 32368007.
19. Simon NC, Farooq AV, Zhang MH, Riaz KM (*). The effect of pharmacological dilation on calculation of targeted and ideal IOL power using multivariable formulas. Ophthalmology and Therapy, 2020 Sep; 9(3): 1-11. PMID: 32462340.
20. Riaz KM, Williams B, Farooq AV, Kloek CE. Surgical curriculum for presbyopia-correcting intraocular lenses: resident experiences and surgical outcomes. Clinical Ophthalmology, 2020; 14: 2441-2451. PMID: 32921977.
21. Riaz KM, Djalilian AR. Proposed nomenclature for DSAEK procedures. Cornea, 2020; 39: e29-e30. PMID: 32947395.
22. Nguyen LN, Parikh SU, Batliwala SY, Davis AS, Riaz KM (*). Temporal profile and treatment of purpureocilium keratitis secondary to herpes zoster reactivation following influenza vaccination. International Medical Case Reports Journal, 2020; 13: 455-459. PMID: 33061667.
23. Riaz KM, Williams BL, Safran SG, Gallardo MJ. Proliferative anterior optic membranes in hydrophobic acrylic intraocular lenses. Clinical Ophthalmology, 2020; 14:3451-3455. PMID: 33132697.
24. Berry JC, Moore LE, Riaz KM (*). Novel microforceps technique developed for endothelial surgical procedures. Cornea, 2021; 40(1):131-132. PMID: 33269893
25. Riaz KM, Wang L, Williams BL, Dvorak JD, Kloek CE, Farooq AV, Koch DD. Refractive and keratometric outcomes of supervised novice surgeon performed limbal relaxing incisions: one-year results. Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery – In press.
26. Murphy DA, Samples JS, Zepeda EM, Riaz KM (*). Visual rehabilitation of traumatic corneal scarring and aphakia with piggyback soft and scleral contact lens in a pediatric patient. Eye and Contact Lens – In press.
27. Jin HD, Surbeck JW, Marsh HR, Ding K, Kingsley RM, Riaz KM, Park SK, Shah VA. The effect of punctal plugs in reducing ocular surface irritation after povidone-iodine preparation of intravitreal injection – a randomized trial. Eye (London) – In press.
28. Huck AH, Moore LE, Firestone BK, Siatkowski RL, Riaz KM (*). Diagnostic utility of CDC DPDx for an atypical presentation of infectious crystalline keratopathy-like infiltrate secondary to microsporidia. Cornea – In press.
29. Berry JC, Gudgel BF, Riaz KM (*). Bilateral asymmetrical corneal deposits in an asymptomatic patient. JAMA Ophthalmology – In press.
30. Sharma A, Riaz KM, Gill MS, Patnaik A, Ulahannan SV, Wang JS, Gombos DS, Ang Q, Cicic D, Bergonio GR, Zhang C, Wirostko B. Reversible HER2 antibody-drug conjugate induced ocular toxicity. Canadian Journal of Ophthalmology – In press.