Vinay A. Shah, MD
Thelma Gaylord Endowed Chair in Ophthalmology
- Diabetic Retinopathy
- Retinal Vascular Diseases
- Retinal Detachment
- Macular Surgery
- Macular Degeneration
- Ocular Trauma
- MBBS: Gujarat University, India, 1996
- Fellowship: Vitreoretinal Surgery, L.V. Prasad Eye Institute, Hyderabad, India, 2000–2001
- Postdoctoral Fellowship: Vitreoretinal Surgery, University of Florida, Jacksonville, FL, 2002–2004
- Internship: General Surgery, University of Florida, Jacksonville, FL, 2004–2005
- Fellowship: Neuro-Ophthalmology, Department of Ophthalmology, University of Iowa Hospital and Clinics, Iowa City, IA, 2005–2006
- Residency: Department of Ophthalmology, University of Missouri, Kansas City, MO, 2006–2009
- Fellowship: Vitreoretinal Surgery, Kresge Eye Institute, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI, 2009–2011
- Shah VA, Wallace B, Sabates NR. Spectral domain OCT finding of Branch Retinal Artery Occlusion from Calcific Embolus. Indian Journal of Ophthalmology 2010 Nov-Dec;58(6):523-4
- Lord RK,Shah VA, San Filippo AN, Krishna R. Novel Uses of Smartphones in Ophthalmology. Ophthalmology. 2010 Jun;117(6):1274-1274.e3
- Chhablani J, Kaja S, Shah VA. Smartphones in ophthalmology. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2012 Mar-Apr;60(2):127-31.
- Shah VA, Brown JS, Mahmoud Correlation of outer retinal microstucture and foveal thickness with visual acuity after pars plana vitrectomy for complications of proliferative diabetic retinopathy. Retina. 2012 Oct;32(9):1775-80
- Lord K, Shah VA, Krishna R. The Eye Handbook: a mobile app in ophthalmic medicine. Mo Med. 2013 Jan-Feb;110(1):49-51.
- Diagnostic and Therapeutic Chanllenges. Elshatory YM, Siatkowski RM, Shah VA, Vajzovic L, Mahmoud TH. Retina. 2014 Mar;34(3):618-24.
- Elshatory Y, Shah VA, Hildebrand PL. Blurry vision after orbital decompression surgery. Ophthalmic Surg Lasers Imaging Retina. 2014 May-Jun;45(3):247-9. doi:10.3928/23258160-20140501-01. Epub 2014
- Elshatory YM, Shah VA. Bead Block Embolization of a Retinal Arteriole. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2014 Dec 11. doi: 10.1001/jamaophthalmol.2014.616. [Epub ahead of print]
- Walgama J, Elshatory YM, Shah VA. Ophthalmomyiasis: a lit path. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2015 Feb;133(2):e143474.
- Kim LA, Wong LL, Amarnani DS, Bigger-Allen AA, Hu Y, Marko CK, Eliott D, Shah VA, McGuone D, Stemmer-Rachamimov AO, Gai X, D’Amore PA, Arboleda-Velasquez JF. Characterization of cells from patient-derived fibrovascular membranes inproliferative diabetic retinopathy. Mol Vis. 2015 Jun 12;21:673-87. eCollection. 2015.
- Elshatory YM, Carver A, Shah VA, Aleman TS. Diagnostic and TherapeuticChallenges. Retina. 2016 Apr;36(4):840-5
- Pandya HK, Robinson M, Mandal N, Shah VA. Hydroxychloroquine retinopathy: A review of imaging. Indian J Ophthalmol. 2015 Jul;63(7):570-4.
- Sluch IM, Siatkowski RL, Shah VA. Mycobacterium chelonae Scleral Abscess After Intravitreal Ranibizumab Injection. Cornea. 2016 Aug;35(8):1136-7.
- Ung C, Sanchez AV, Shen L, Davoudi S, Ahmadi T, Navarro-Gomez D, Chen CJ, Hancock H, Penman A, Hoadley S, Consugar M, Restrepo C, Shah VA, Arboleda-Velasquez JF, Sobrin L, Gai X, Kim LA. Whole exome sequencing identification of novel candidate genes in patients with proliferative diabetic retinopathy. Vision Res. 2017 Oct;139:168-176
- LaGrow AL, Schatzman SN, Amayem OA, Bradford RH, Shah VA, Chen S, Lee SY. ENDOPHTHALMITIS AFTER TRANSCONJUNCTIVAL PARS PLANA VITRECTOMY: A 6-year Experience Without Prophylactic Intraoperative Subconjunctival Antibiotics. Retina. 2020 Aug 18;.
- Lee SY, Surbeck JW, Drake M, Saunders A, Jin HD, Shah VA, Rajala RV. Increased Glial Fibrillary Acid Protein and Vimentin in Vitreous Fluid as a Biomarker for Proliferative Vitreoretinopathy. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2020 May 11;61(5):22.
- Haoxing J, Surbeck J, Marsh H, Ding K, Kingsley R, Riaz K, Park S, Shah VA. “The Effect of Punctal Plugs in Reducing Ocular Surface Irritation after Povidone-Iodine Preparation of Intravitreal Injection – A Randomized Trial” Accetped for publications in the Journal Eye. March 2021.
- Shah VA, Brown JS, Mahmoud RM. Correlation of Outer Retinal Microstucture and Foveal Thickness with Vision after Vitrectomy for Complications of PDR. Presented (Poster) at the 28th Annual Meeting of American Society of Retina Specialists, Vancouver, BC, Canada
- Lord RK, Shah VA. IPhone for Retinologist. Presented (Poster) at the 28thAnnual Meeting of American Society of Retina Specialists, Vancouver, BC, Canada
- Sielert S, Allan E, Kim Y, Pandya HK, Shah VA. Research Experioence of US Medical Students Interested in Ophthalmology. Poster presentation – Annual AAO meeting 2012, Chicago, IL.
- Leonard RE, Shah VA. Intravitreal Aflibercept as a Surgical Adjuvant in Severe Proliferative Diabetic Retinopathy. IOVS 2014; ARVO E-Abstract 257.
- Shukla SY, Kinglsey RM, Shah VA. Review of Diabetic Macular Edema Treatment Response in the Presence and Absence of Epiretinal Membrane. Poster Presentation at Annual AAO meeting 2017, New Orleans, LA.
- Course Director and Instructor AAO Skills Transfer Lab:Smartphones in Ophthalmology: #TheFutureIsAIDuration 2 hours: American Academy of Ophthalmology Annual Meeting, October 2019 San Fransico, CA.
- Speaker and Moderator AAO Technology Theater:Smartphone and Mobile Technology Update:, Duration 60 minutes: American Academy of Ophthalmology Annual Meeting, October 2019, San Fransico, CA (Tech Pavilion Theater)
- Jamshidi F, Jin HD, Bruce A, Kutteh M, Ding K, Riaz KM, Kingsley RM, Shah VA. The Effect of Ocular Rinse Volume on Ocular Surface After Povidone-iodine Preparation of Intravitreal Injection. accepted as poster at ASRS 2021.
Co-Founder and Partner: Cloud Nine Development, LLC:
A startup company developing Web and Smartphone applications for the Physicians
Co-developer and Editor: Eye Handbook: Comprehensive ophthalmology software developed for Smartphones. www.eyehandbook.com or www.itunes.com. Presently this is one of the most popular iPhone ophthalmology applications with over 5 million downloads.
Co-developer: Eye Patient: Comprehensive ophthalmology software developed for Smart device. Presently this is one of the most comprehensive ophthalmology applications for patient education and engagement.