Clinical Assistant Professor
Special Clinical/Surgical Interests
- Treatment of Severe Ocular Surface Disease
- Ocular Trauma
- Limbal Stem Cell Transplants
- Complex Cataract Surgery and Intraocular Lens Management
- Corneal Infections
- Corneal Transplantation: full-thickness and partial thickness (DSAEK/DMEK)
- Corneal Cross-Linking
- Routine, Premium, and Complex Cataract Surgery
- “Dropless” Cataract Surgery
- Management of Cataract Surgery Complications
- Secondary IOL Implantation (scleral fixation, etc.)
- Advanced Dry Eye and Ocular Surface Disease
- BS: Biomedical Engineering (magna cum laude), Duke University, Durham, North Carolina, 2008 – 2012
- MD: Keck School of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA, 2012 – 2016
- Internship: White Memorial Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA, 2016 – 2017
- Residency: University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, Houston, TX, 2017 – 2020
- Fellowship: Cornea, External Disease, and Refractive Surgery, University of California, Irvine, Irvine, CA, 2020 – 2021
- ABO Diplomate, Board Certified in 2021
Dr. Mittal joined the Dean McGee Eye Institute (DMEI) and the University of Oklahoma (OU) Department of Ophthalmology in August 2021 as a clinical assistant professor in cornea/external disease/refractive surgery. His special clinical/surgical interests include severe ocular surface disease, corneal transplantation, corneal cross-linking, advanced dry eye disease, complex cataract surgery, and LASIK. Dr. Mittal sees patients at the DMEI clinic on the OU Health Sciences Center campus.
Dr. Mittal was born in California and grew up in Florida. He earned his bachelor of science degree (magna cum laude) in biomedical engineering from Duke University and his medical degree from Keck School of Medicine of the University of Southern California. He completed his internship in internal medicine at White Memorial Medical Center in Los Angeles and his residency in ophthalmology at the University of Texas Health Science Center in Houston. Prior to joining the DMEI/OU faculty, Dr. Mittal served as a cornea/external disease/refractive surgery fellow at the Gavin Herbert Eye Institute, University of California-Irvine, which provided a broad spectrum of clinical and surgical experience.
Dr. Mittal is a self-described foodie and enjoys OKC Thunder basketball. He is also an accomplished tennis player and speaks three foreign languages.