Research Programs and Faculty
Dean McGee Eye Institute Vision Research Programs
The Dean McGee Eye Institute (DMEI)/University of Oklahoma (OU) Department of Ophthalmology is one of the top 20 vision research programs in the nation based on National Institutes of Health (NIH) funding (tenth among departments affiliated with a public university) with $6.4 million in grant funds in 2019. The department is 16th in the nation in cumulative funding from Research to Prevent Blindness (tenth among public universities) with over $5.5 million. In the 2019 survey released by “Ophthalmology Times,” DMEI/OU was ranked among the top 12 research programs (seventh among public universities).
Facts about the department include:
- 10 independent researchers with labs and personnel
- 34,000 square feet of research space
- National Eye Institute (NIH) P30 Vision Center Core grant (one of three P30 grants on campus)
- Core modules support the research effort with:
- State-of-the-art vivarium
- Live imaging (OCT, ERG, optokinetic/acuity, funduscopy, tonometry, biomicroscopy/videography)
- Cellular imaging (confocal and epifluorescence microscopy, cryosectioning, full histology service)
Research efforts are aimed at retinal degenerations, infection of the eye, immunology, and the anterior segment of the eye with much overlap between them. A few of the specific research thrusts include:
- Age-Related Macular Degeneration
- Diabetic Retinopathy
- Retinitis Pigmentosa
- Inherited Retinal Degenerations
- Bacterial Eye Infections
- Viral Eye Infections
- Fungal Keratitis
- Aqueous Outflow Dynamics in Glaucoma
Do you want to help treat eye disease or cure blindness? You can by donating to our research efforts. Advancing vision research requires financial resources beyond the grants secured by our faculty. Donate now through a monthly recurring or one-time gift or create a legacy gift through your will or trust that can support our research efforts in perpetuity. To learn more, visit our Giving page or call the Development Office at 405.271.7803. Together, we can give hope to those who suffer vision loss or blindness.
Click below to learn more about the vision researchers at the Dean McGee Eye Institute/University of Oklahoma Department of Ophthalmology and their particular research programs.