Nathan W. Blessing, MD
Clinical Assistant Professor
- Ophthalmic Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
- Aesthetic and Cosmetic Oculofacial Plastic Surgery
Areas of Expertise
- Aesthetic Eyelid and Facial Surgery
- Blepharoplasty (Upper and Lower Eyelid)
- Botulinum Toxin for Hemifacial Spasm, Blepharospasm, and Wrinkle Reduction
- Brow and Forehead Lifting
- Dermal Fillers for Facial Rejuvenation
- Eyelid and Orbital Reconstructive Surgery
- Repair of Mohs Micrographic Surgical Defects
- Eyelid and Orbital Tumors
- Laser Skin Rejuvenation and Scar Rehabilitation
- Lacrimal Diseases and Surgery
- Optic Nerve Sheath Fenestration
- Orbital Fracture and Trauma Repair
- Orbital Decompression
- Orbital Oncology
- Pediatric Oculoplastics
- Ptosis Repair
- Revisional Eyelid Surgery
- Thyroid Eye Disease
- BS: Emory University, Biology, (summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa), 2008
- MD: University of Oklahoma (OU) College of Medicine (special distinction, Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society), 2012
- Internship: University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Internal Medicine, 2013
- Residency: Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, Miami, FL, 2016
- Fellowship: Bascom Palmer Eye Institute, Miami, FL, 2018
Dr. Nathan Blessing is a Clinical Assistant Professor of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery at the Dean McGee Eye Institute and the University of Oklahoma Department of Ophthalmology. He is Board Certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology (ABO) and is also a candidate member of the American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (ASOPRS), a prestigious group of approximately 600 members throughout the United States.
A native of Tulsa, Oklahoma, an Eagle Scout, and a National Merit Scholar, Dr. Blessing graduated summa cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa from Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia, where he earned a Bachelor of Science Degree in Biology and received the Mark Pruitt Award for Most Outstanding Senior by the Epsilon Chapter of Kappa Alpha Order. He then pursued medical school at the University of Oklahoma (OU) College of Medicine, where he graduated with special distinction as a member of Alpha Omega Alpha.
Dr. Blessing completed his ophthalmology residency at the Bascom Palmer Eye Institute (BPEI) in Miami, Florida, consistently ranked the No. 1 ophthalmology residency training program in the United States. He stayed at BPEI to complete an esteemed ASOPRS-accredited two-year fellowship in ophthalmic plastic and reconstructive surgery under the tutelage of Drs. David T. Tse, Thomas E. Johnson, Wendy W. Lee, Chris R. Alabiad, Sara T. Wester, Bradford W. Lee, and Brian C. Tse.
Dr. Blessing’s research interests include solitary fibrous tumor of the orbit, sebaceous cell carcinoma of the ocular adnexa, orbital fracture repair, and thyroid eye disease. He has presented his research and given lectures at both national and international meetings and has authored numerous peer-reviewed publications and book chapters. He has also traveled to Argentina, Ethiopia, and Swaziland both to teach and to provide medical and surgical care.
Outside of work, Dr. Blessing enjoys spending time with his wife, Dr. Tracy Shaw Blessing, a cosmetic and restorative dentist in the community, their son Nicholas (“Nico”), and their border collie, Cash. He also enjoys soccer, traveling, backpacking, horseback riding, cooking, and shooting sports. He is fluent in English and conversational in Spanish.
Ko MJ, Erickson BP, Blessing NW, Tse DT. The Flip-Back Myocutaneous Advancement Flap for Periocular Reconstruction. Ophthalmic Plast Reconstr Surg. 2019 Mar. 18.
Blessing NW, Bermudez-Magner JA, Fernandez MP, Rosenberg AE, Dubovy SR, Johnson TE. Solitary fibrous tumor of the orbit: A case series with clinicopathologic correlation and evaluation of STAT6 as a diagnostic marker. American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Thesis. Accepted Feb. 2019.
Choi CJ, Tao W, Doddapaneni R, Acosta-Torres Z, Blessing NW, Lee BW, Pelaez D, Wester ST. The Effect of Prostaglandin Analogue Bimatoprost on Thyroid-Associated Orbitopathy. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2018 Dec. 3;59(15):5912-5923.
Hackett A, Stuart J, Blessing N, Borden N. Headache with Aura: A case report of ocular melanoma. Am J Emerg Med. 2018 Aug. 17.
Blessing NW, Tse DT. Optic nerve sheath fenestration: a revised lateral approach for nerve access. Orbit. 2018 Mar. 22:1-7.
Rong AJ, Ulloa-Padilla JP, Blessing NW, Tse DT, Dubovy SR, Choi CJ. Subperiosteal fibroma of the orbit. Orbit. 2018 Jan. 5:1-3.
Chen TA, Ayala-Haedo JA, Blessing NW, Topping K, Alabiad CR, Erickson BP. Bioengineered dermal substitutes for the management of traumatic periocular tissue loss. Orbit. 2017 Sep. 11:1-6.
Blessing NW, Blount MA, Sands JM, Martin CF, Klein JD. Urea transporters UT-A1 and UT-A3 accumulate in the plasma membrane in response to hypertonicity. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol. 2008 Nov. ;295(5):F1336-41